Oil | Charcoal
As much as possible, I like to work in the alla prima style of painting. Throughout the entire process, I always remain conscious of trying to express my emotional response to the initial idea. It’s just that I work very freely and intuitively in the beginning, and then slow down and makes more deliberate decisions in the later stages. I feel this is the best way to capture my moods and make sure they come across in the finished paintings.
Colour & Composition
Shows & Exhibits
Products & Prints
How To Self Critique
These Mastermind+ Groups are for
Emerging & Professional Artists
What Is An Emerging Artist?
You’ve taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you’re ready to take it to the next level!
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Am I A Professional Artist?
As a professional artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do they learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.
JOIN YOUR GROUP
Professional ArtistMastermind+ Membership
- $60 Application Fee
- Started June, 2021
- 3-hour Session
- 5pm - 8pm MT (7pm - 9pm ET)
- Repeats on the 2nd Tuesday of every month
- Application & Acceptance Process (PDF)
About The Artist
Born in Guangzhou, China, Zhaoming Wu grew up during the Cultural Revolution. He began to study Chinese brush painting at the age of 8. Following high school, he became a graphic artist at an advertising agency. He credits this experience in helping him to develop substantial painting skills as well as the art of story telling. Later, he graduated from Guangzhou Academy of Fine Art where he earned a BFA in painting and was as an assistant professor there for seven years. After moving to San Francisco, California, he received his MFA in painting from the Academy of Art University where he is currently an instructor. Active for many years as both an artist and a teacher, Zhaoming has works exhibited in museums and private collections around the world.
Although he is best known for his figurative painting, using live models with flowing drapes, he is inspired by and paints the landscape. The natural elements remind him of the curves of the body and folds of the cloth. Influenced by the 19th century French painters, he describes his work as “representational, but not traditional classical.” This technique can be seen through the combination of more modern elements and understanding of graphic design. Utilizing his knowledge of heightened colors and values, he makes powerful, conscious decisions about their application.
Recent national and international publications have highlighted his vibrant career and technique. He has been featured in major domestic art magazines such as Fine Art Today, Fine Art Connoisseur, American Art Collector, Southwest Art and Plein Air Magazine. International publications include Arte Y Libertad (Spain), Art of Watercolor (China) and Pratique des Arts, (French). He has published 11 books and was featured in 3 instructional DVDs.
Major awards and honors have been given to Zhaoming Wu. These organizations include the International Artist’s Magazine, Oil Painters of America and the National Oil and Acrylic Painter’s Society, among others. For 7 consecutive years, he was a juror of an international art contest at the European Museum of Modern Art in Barcelona, Spain
Get the newest updates from LU with our Mailing List.
Find out about new Masters and programs being offered so that you never miss a thing!
What is LevellingUp?
Many of us feel like we’re “going it alone” in our relationships & careers, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey, for community and support.
By combining interactive coaching, mentorship and collaborative community, LevellingUp offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing professionals like you to secure success and experience joy.