Oil | Acrylic | Graphite
The human figures in my paintings represent the emotional tension and psychological drama of life’s turning points. The blend of luminous color and buttery texture evoke the enigmatic environment where these moments of meditation originate. I have interwoven the sunflower – a symbol throughout my life embodying both sorrow and joy and collaged images from China’s Tang Dynasty – a signature of my heritage into my paintings.
I am influenced recently by the way Auguste Rodin used clay to model figures, In his Sculpture contains expression and dramatic body language and through his marvelous clay marks making we could sense of inner emotions and feelings. So I have tried to treat my color paints as clay to build up the form on canvas. The thickness of the paint evokes a sculptural physicality and multi-level quality.
Colour & Composition
Tools & Materials
How To Self Critique
This Mastermind+ is for
Emerging & Professional Artists
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Am I A Professional Artist?
As a professional artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do they learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.
JOIN YOUR GROUp!
- Next Session November 16, 2021
- On the 3rd Tuesday of every month
- 6:00pm - 8:00pm MT (8:00pm - 10:00pm ET)
About The Artist
My path through life has been adventurous, exciting, and dream-like. My experience of settling into America in search of better opportunities has been both challenging and inspiring. I use the human face as a vehicle to paint human experiences - worry and wonder, sadness and pleasure - which reflect the emotional stage directly tied to my immigration experiences.
I grew up amongst the sunflower fields in northern China. In my childhood years, I played under the bright, yellow sunflowers with my brothers every day. China’s Cultural Revolution played an important part in my life. During that time, sunflowers were used as political allegories to depict how citizens of China should follow Mao who represented the sun since sunflowers follow the sun’s movements. People eventually inferred the deception that this symbol masked. After graduating from high school, I was sent to a labor camp in the country for ‘re-education’ during China’s Cultural Revolution. There, I was subject to grueling farm work. Often, I worked in corn and sunflower fields from sunrise to sunset. Thus, for me, sunflowers evoke both personal joy and sadness. Therefore, to deliver my complex feelings, I use sunflowers as a metaphor to connote my background and emotional stage.
My incorporation of collages of figures from China’s Tang Dynasty represents my Chinese heritage and is a constant reminder of where I came from. The texture and earthiness on the canvas’s surface are inspired by the texture of the soil on the farm where I worked in China.
Although I often gain great pleasure from the process of painting, it is most important to unfold expressively those feelings within myself.
Get the newest updates from LU with our Mailing List.
Find out about new Masters and programs being offered so that you never miss a thing!
What is LevellingUp?
Many of us feel like we’re “going it alone” in our relationships & careers, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey, for community and support.
By combining interactive coaching, mentorship and collaborative community, LevellingUp offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing professionals like you to secure success and experience joy.