Light and shadow is what initially draws me to a subject; the challenge of capturing the mood, time of day, and season in a representational yet loose way is what keeps me painting. My aim, whether it be in the studio or in the field, is to use colour as I see it, with a particular fondness for neutrals and earth colours, soft violets, rusts, and greens. The way the paint goes on is equally as important as what I mix on the palette; my intention is to indicate and represent, without becoming bogged down in the minutiae.
Weathered boats, old brick and textured stone, crashing waves and trees in every season, all afford me the opportunity to explore my interpretation of textures with both brush and knife work.
Accomplishing what I intend never ceases to be difficult, fascinating, and deeply fulfilling. It keeps me painting almost daily!
“I am passionate about my work; I truly love it and paint every day. Painting is a challenge, but always fascinating and deeply fulfilling.”
Colour & Composition
Tools & Materials
How To Self Critique
This Mastermind+ is for
Aspiring & Emerging Artists
AM I AN ASPIRING ARTIST?
As an aspiring artist, you have been creating on the side, as a hobby, and now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- technique - color and composition
- art critiques - get feedback on your artwork to help you narrow and hone your style
- supplies and tools - where to save and where to spend
- marketing - learn to write your artist statement and CV, build your brand, launch a website, maximize your social media
- price artwork – because your time and talent have value
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
JOIN YOUR GROUp!
- Next Session November 24, 2021
- On the 4th Wednesday of every month
- 7:00pm - 9:00pm MT (9:00pm - 11:00pm ET)
About The Artist
Deborah Tilby is a Canadian painter currently living in Victoria BC. She is recognized as one of the top oil painters in the country and is a senior signature member of the Federation of Canadian Artists and has been awarded the status of Oil Painters of America Master. Her work has won many international awards, has appeared in Fine Art Connoisseur, International Artist, Southwest Art, Arabella and Artist magazines and is in collections all over North America and Europe.
“Painting began for me with my first watercolour at age eighteen. I love watercolour and it held my interest for many years, before I began working with oils. I am Canadian but for fourteen years, England was home and European street scenes and landscapes were my subject. A move to the west coast of British Columbia turned my attention toward the beaches, boats, waves, and marinas of coastal living. Not entirely committed to trading Europe for Canada, I have travelled between the two, keeping my perspective fresh and allowing my work to straddle both continents. I now stick to oils most of the time, only occasionally reaching for my watercolours. I still love watercolour but am drawn to the flexibility, freedom, and richness that oils offer.
I became a painter by way of being an observer – I have always noticed light and shadow, shapes, texture, composition and colour, and endeavouring to interpret my observations through painting has been a lifelong passion. That people choose my work to hang in witness of their lives is a bonus, both wonderful and humbling. “
Get the newest updates from LU with our Mailing List.
Find out about new Masters and programs being offered so that you never miss a thing!
What is LevellingUp?
Many of us feel like we’re “going it alone” in our relationships & careers, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey, for community and support.
By combining interactive coaching, mentorship and collaborative community, LevellingUp offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing professionals like you to secure success and experience joy.