Soft Pastels Master
“My job as an artist is to see and translate my visual and emotional moments into pieces that allow the viewer to see, feel and be in my moments giving the viewer pause to reflect on moments in time that I cherished, frozen in pigments.”
Colour & Composition
How To Self Critique
Tools & Materials
For ASPIRING & Emerging Artists
AM I AN ASPIRING ARTIST?
As an aspiring artist, you have been creating on the side, as a hobby, and now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- technique - color and composition
- art critiques - get feedback on your artwork to help you narrow and hone your style
- supplies and tools - where to save and where to spend
- marketing - learn to write your artist statement and CV, build your brand, launch a website, maximize your social media
- price artwork – because your time and talent have value
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
JOIN YOUR GROUp!
- Next Session February 7, 2022
- On the 1st Monday of every month
- 5:00pm - 7:00pm MT (7:00pm - 9:00pm ET)
About The Artist
Clarence worked in the Toronto advertising world as a graphic designer/art director until leaving to become a freelance commercial illustrator: a career move that spanned 40 plus years of creating illustrations for everything from packaging and logo designs to children’s’ books and magazine editorials, while working in a wide range of mediums. After relocating to Hamilton, he started working with pastels for his own pleasure and in 2006 Clarence was juried into the Pastel Artists Canada’s Purely Pastels Exhibition at the Art Gallery of Hamilton where he received an Honorable Mention. That was the impetus needed to continue working with pastels and he hasn’t looked back.
Clarence is represented by Earls Court Gallery in Hamilton and his work has been collected locally and internationally. He received his Master Pastel Artist of Canada (MPAC) signature designation from Pastel Artists Canada in 2014 and was elected a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America (PSA) in 2016. He is also a member of the Federation of Canadian Artists and the International Association of Pastel Societies.
Ongoing sources of inspiration for Clarence are the pastels courses and workshops he teaches for adults. Clarence is an instructor at the Dundas Valley School of Art as well as an occasional instructor at the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the Aurora Cultural Centre. Clarence enjoys the interaction with creative minds of all ages. He finds collaboration with other artists using different media rewarding and enriching too.
Get the newest updates from LU with our Mailing List.
Find out about new Masters and programs being offered so that you never miss a thing!
Many of us feel “abandoned” or alone in our artistic pursuits, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey.
By combining interactive mentorship and trusted community, LevellingUp offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing artists like you to secure success and experience joy.